After World War II the congregation diminished. As attendance continued to fall, Rev. J. B. Logan came up with the idea of a fundraiser to develop Saint Stephen’s Stockbridge. Logan organised ‘talents’, a money making scheme suggested by Mr Campbell White. 1,050 families were each given £1 by the church, with the idea of investing in their talents, such as knitting, baking, event organisation and design. Six months later, 836 envelopes containing £1,700 were received by the church.
All of the ‘talents’ money was put towards the new development. Initial proposals were too expensive at around £27,000, however a more cost effective conversion was created by Gilbert Jenkins, with Sir James Miller as the building contractor. The Cellars were transformed into meeting rooms and the main church hall was split into two rooms: The Great Room and The Muir Hall, one of the first major subdivisions in Edinburgh. The addition of a gym and kitchen allowed Saint Stephen’s Stockbridge to bloom into a fully functioning community venue.
On 23rd September, 1956, the church was rededicated, opening its doors again in October.